Risotto is easy to make and the combination of ingredients is unlimited which means that I am never bored to eat them. This time, I decided to use the Brussels sprout top which is something pretty unusual for me, but that is the second time that I get it from the vegetable box. Last time, I made some pesto with it and then serve it along with pasta and mushrooms (don’t hesitate to click on the link for having a look at the recipe).
I added the Butternut squash in order to add a touch of colour to the whole dish.
The risotto was delicious and I found out that it was pretty convenient to reheat it in the microwave or to freeze/defrost it which give the risotto a massive plus value.
- PREPARATION: 10 minutes
- COOK: 25 minutes
What do you need?
- 100 g of Brussels sprout top
- 200 g of Butternut
- 1 onion
- 1 vegetable stock
- 125g of Arborio rice
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Aromatic fresh herb
How to make a Risotto with Brussels sprout top and Butternut?
- Start by washing carefully the Brussels top and chop it as thinly as you want to have them in the risotto
The Brussels sprout top will get softer when cooked and it will shrink a little bit but not as much as spinach
- Peel the butternut and cut it into small cubes
The cubes of butternut needs be small for making sure that they can be cooked during the making of the risotto
- Peel the onion and chop it
- In a large pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and stir it for at least 3 minutes until it gets tender
- Add the chopped Brussels sprout top, stir it frequently for 5 minutes
Cover it between stirring for making sure that the Brussels sprout top gets tender
- Then add the square pieces of Butternut along with the Arborio rice
- Stir all together for 3 minutes
- Then add 500 ml of boiling water with the vegetable cube
The water should cover all the food
- Let the risotto being cooked for 18 minutes covered on slow heat
- Then serve it straight away with some freshly chopped aromatic herbs and pepper on top
This dish can also be reheated easily in the microwave for the next day lunch.
I found as well that risotto bears really well to be frozen which is convenient for someday when there is no time for cooking
More recipe to try and enjoy: