With the grey and long winter, it is always appreciated to get some colour on your plate. One of the most convenient ingredients in winter for doing that is beetroot. They are in season and therefore cheap to buy and they are full of colour. After sharing the recipe of spaghetti with beetroots, this time is the risotto made with beetroots and spinach. The dish is really pleasant to look, really tasty and on top of that, it is gluten-free and vegan.
- PREPARATION: 10 minutes
- COOK: 25 minutes
What do you need?
- 150g Arborio rice
- 200g beetroots
- 100 g fresh spinach
- ½ onion
- 3 tablespoon of olive oil
- 35 cl vegetable stock
- Vegan parmesan (in mixer, mix 50g of raw cashew nuts with 5g of sea salt and 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast)
How to make a Risotto with beetroots and spinach?
- Start by cooking the beetroots
The beetroots can be steamed 30 minutes or if you are in a rush, it can be done 10 minutes in the microwave. For doing that, put some water in the microwave plastic container and then add the unpeeled beetroots. 10 minutes is for small beetroots, it is advisable to have similar size of beetroot for having them heavenly cooked
- Peel the beetroots and slice them into small square pieces
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat
- Peel the onion and chop it
- Once the olive oil is hot, cook the chopped onion for 3 minutes at medium heat
- Wash carefully the spinach and dry them slightly with some kitchen paper
- Add the washed spinach to the pan and stir them for 2 minutes at medium heat
If the spinach are huge, it is better to chop them before adding them into the pan, so there are spinach on all the risotto and not only in one place.
- Add the cooked beetroot and continue to stir for an extra minute
- Add the rice and stir it for 3 minutes
- Add the boiling vegetable stock and pepper
- Cook the risotto for 18 minutes at small heat and cover
The boiling water should cover all the rice and vegetables. During the cooking process, check without stirring that there is still enough water for avoiding the rice to burn. Top up with some boiling water if necessary, not too much for avoiding to flood the risotto
- Serve the risotto straight away with some vegan parmesan on top
More recipe to try and enjoy: