Usually, I served pesto with basic shape pasta but this time, I wanted to change a little bit and made the recipe with orzo. Orzo is something that I found at the bulk shop that I visited a few weeks ago in West London. I will buy it again as it was a good quality one, not too big and not too small. Do you know Orzo? It is a pasta with a slight shape of rice.
On this recipe, I used my homemade broccoli pesto. The pesto was made with some broccoli leftover. Indeed, last time, in the vegetable box, I get some really nice broccoli more similar to flowers than the usual broccoli. So, I used all the top for a stir fry and then decided to make this recipe with the leftover (pesto included)
The colour and the taste of this dish are really good and I am pretty happy about this nearly “zero waste” recipe.
- PREPARATION: 15 minutes
- COOK: 20 minutes
What do you need?
- 100 of broccoli or broccoli stem
- 50 g of black olive
- 100 g of courgettes
- 120 g of orzo
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- A couple of pieces of vegan halloumi or halloumi
- Homemade broccoli pesto
How to make Orzo with broccoli pesto, spiralized courgette and black olives?
- Start by cooking the orzo as indicated on the package
Usually it is cooked as pasta in boiling salted water for 7 to10 minutes
- Wash carefully the broccoli stem or broccoli and slice them
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat
- When the oil is hot, add the broccoli stem and stir them for 3 to 5 minutes
- In the meantime, slice in 2 parts black olive
- Wash carefully the courgette and spiralize it
- In the pan, add the sliced black olive and stir them for 2 minutes
- Then add the spiralized courgette and stir them for 2 minutes
- Add the cooked orzo
- Then add the broccoli pesto and stir it for 3 minutes for making sure that all the ingredients are well brushed with the pesto
- In a grill pan, grill quickly some pieces of halloumi
- In a plate, serve the orzo with pesto, courgette, olive, broccoli stems and add on top grilled halloumi bites
More recipe to try and enjoy: