I like the flavour of the fennel but I used to eat it cooked in a soup or when I am doing my own cooking vegetables stock. But this time, I decided to try it raw and enjoy fully the taste. In order to have well-balanced flavours, I made the salad with sultanas, tomatoes, and chickpea (for the protein intake). I used giant couscous as the base. The combination was great and really summery.
- PREPARATION: 10 minutes
- COOK: 10 minutes
What do you need?
- 200 g of fennel
- 80 g of chickpea (in a can or raw, if using raw, bear in mind that they need to soak for at least 12 hours and then be cooked for 1 hour)
- 80 g of giant couscous
- 3 tomatoes
- 20 g of sultanas
- A handful of aromatic herbs such as parsley or basil
How to make a Fennel salad with tomato, chickpea, sultanas and giant couscous?
- Start by cooking the giant couscous as indicated on the packaging
Usually, it needs to be cooked in 1.5 volume of salted boiling water and simmer for 6 to 10 minutes
- Wash carefully all the vegetables
- Chop the fennel in order to make some slices of it
- Slice the tomatoes and put them in square pieces
- In a small bowl of boiling water, put the sultanas in order to help them to raise
- Drain the giant couscous and let it get cold
- Prepare the chickpea by following the instruction (it all depend if using raw or canned chickpea (it also depends on the brand of the canned that you bought))
- In a plate, start by a layer of giant couscous
- Then add a layer of chopped fennel
- Add the piece of tomatoes, cooked chickpea, and drained sultanas
- Add chopped aromatic herbs
- Add seasoning such as 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of apple cidre vinegar, salt and pepper. And alternative can be 1 tablespoon of mustard with 1 teaspoon of apple cidre vinegar, mix them carefully and then add bit by bits the olive oil in order to achieve the volume of sauce needed.
- Serve it cold
More recipe to try and enjoy: