It is usually said that we are eating first with our eyes, this is true for me. I usually enjoy most a dish that is well presented and colourful than a similar dish not neatly presented. It is why in my kitchen I have some many small plates and dishes for making sure that the presentation pleased me. I will shortly publish some recipe that I did last time that I had some guests and you will be able to discover that I have a quite extensive collection of small dishes.
As I am trying to cook more and more seasonal vegetable thanks to my organic veggie box, I need to find some new ways of cooking them in order to avoid to be bored. So this time, I was quite pleased with all the colour of the veggies in the box and I decided to combine vegetables and quiche. In order to make sure that it didn’t take ages to bake the quiche, I opted for grating all the vegetable and steaming them before. The fact to grate the vegetable is a real value-added as it changed the usual texture.
This quiche is as good as it is looking like. It is a perfect match some fresh salad for your lunch box or for a light dinner.
- PREPARATION: 15 minutes
- COOK: 40 to 45 minutes
What do you need?
For the quiche:
- 2 orange carrots
- 1 white carrot (optional, you can replace it by orange one of you don’t have white one)
- 2 small/medium beetroots
- 50g of grated cheddar
- 2 to 3 tablespoon of sesame seeds
- 1 egg
- 10 cl of soja single cream
- Aromatic herbs such as chives or parsley
For the shortcrust dough:
- 75 g of self-raising plain flour
- 30 g of corn flour
- 45 g of vegetable margarine or butter
- 20 to 40 ml of water
How to make a colourful quiche with carrots and beetroots?
For making the shortcrust dough:
- Mix in a large bowl: corn flour, self-raising flour and vegetable margarine
- Knead the dough with your fingers
- Add water, start with 20 ml and then increase if necessary
- Knead gently the dough
- Wrap it in a plastic film and let it cool in a fridge for 30 minutes
If you have a breadmaker, it is even quicker, you put all the ingredient in the machine and select the dough program
For the quiche:
- Peel all the vegetables and then grate them
- Steam all the vegetable for 20 minutes
the colour of the beetroot keeps colouring the other vegetable, so if you want to keep the 2 colours of carrots, it is better to steam the carrots and the beetroots separately.
- Roll the dough in the tart mould and bake it for 10 minutes at 180°C
- In a pan, heat the sesame seeds for a couple of minutes for roasting them
- Put all the steamed grated vegetable on the pre-baked dough
it is at that moment that you could play with the colour of the various ingredients
- Add the grated cheddar on top then add salt, pepper and aromatic herbs
- In a bowl, mix together egg and the soja single cream
if you want a thicker quiche, don’t hesitate to add a second egg, and you can even add a tablespoon of flour to the mix
- Pour the mix on top of the grated cheddar
- Then add the roasted sesame seeds on top
- Bake the tart for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven at 180°C
the tart can be served either cold or hot.
More recipe to try and enjoy:
Très bien je viens prendre la recette