This week, I would like to share with you another recipe made with a mix of quinoa and bulgur. Indeed, I read some much nice things about quinoa, that I am trying to incorporate it as often as possible but quinoa alone is not what I prefer the most, I nearly hate, so it is why I am using it mix with other cereals.
I posted a couple of weeks ago another recipe based on this mix of quinoa and bulgur with some grapes and avocado. That is pretty surprising combination but really delicious.
I like the colour of the ingredients of the recipe and the fact to have various shape for carrots, courgette and garden peas is from my opinion, a really nice addition.
I hope you will enjoy this vegetarian recipe full vegetarian protein.
- PREPARATION: 30 minutes
- COOK: 30 minute
What do you need?
- 120g of quinoa and bulgur mix
- ½ onion or 1 onion
- 4 carrots
- 1 courgette
- 50/100 frozen g garden peas
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of Olive oil
- Fresh aromatic herbs such as parsley or basilic (optional)
How to make Lunch box: quinoa and bulgur with carrots, courgette and garden peas?
- Start by peeling half the onion and slice it
- In pan or pressure cooker, put one tablespoon of olive oil and when it is hot, stir fry the onion for 5 minutes until it gets a bit caramelised
For this recipe, I like to use the pressure cooker and it helps to quickly cook the carrots, which could be challenging with a pan except if you want to keep the carrots crunchy
- Peel the carrots and slice them in square bits
- Add the carrots to the onion
- Cover with some hot water the carrots and onion and simmer them for 10 minutes
Usually, I used boiling water for covering the carrots in order to speed up the process
- In the meantime, cook the quinoa and bulgur mix with 1 litre of water with the vegetable stock for 12 minutes in another pan
- Peel the courgette and either put it in square pieces and in slices
For the recipe, I was running of courgette, so I used frozen courgettes. There were in slice and I think it is a great to have various shape of vegetables on that recipe
- As soon as the quinoa and bulgur mix is cooked, drain it and keep the water with the vegetable stock
- Add around 20 cl of the leafletover water with the vegetable stock to the carrots
- Add garden peas and courgette and simmer it for 5 minutes
- Add then the drained quinoa and bulgur and leave it on medium heat for 3 minutes while continue stirring
- Serve it straight away with some fresh aromatic herbs on top or keep it for your lunch box
More recipe to try and enjoy:
Shared! I’m pretty sure a few friends would like to read this, Pauline.