Another week, another vegetable box and a great discovery: Romanesco cabbage. The cabbage is looking like a sculptured stone.
I decided to use it with potatoes and salmon for making a gratin with a dairy free bechamel. The recipe is fairly easy to make and really delicious to eat either straight after being baked in the oven or reheated for a lunch box.
- PREPARATION: 20 minutes
- COOK: 30 minutes
What do you need?
- 350g of Romanesco cabbage
- 400g of potatoes
- 260g of salmon
- 100g of grated vegan cheese
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 50 cl of oat milk
- 50g of flour
- 50g of vegan butter
How to make Salmon “au gratin” with Romanesco cabbage and potatoes?
- Start by washing carefully all the vegetables
- Detach the florets from the Romanesco cabbage and put them in a steamer basket
- Peel the potatoes and slice them in slices at medium thickness
- Place the sliced potatoes in the steamer basket along with the Romanesco cabbage
- Steam the vegetables for 10 minutes
Add some bay leaves in the water for the steam will give a nice flavour to the steamed vegetables
- In the meantime, prepare the bechamel, start by stirring together the flour and the oat milk in a pan at medium heat, then add the vegan butter and continue to stir for 10/15 minutes until achieving a creamy texture
- Cut in square pieces the salmon
I prefer removing the skin from the salmon but it is up to your own taste
- In an oven tray dish, put all the steamed vegetables, all the salmon squares pieces
- Add salt, pepper and nutritional yeast
- Add half of the grated vegan cheese
- Cover all with the bechamel
- Add salt, pepper and the grated vegan cheese leftover
- Put it in the oven at 180°C for 20 minutes
More recipe to try and enjoy: