There are a lot of things that could be done with onion: onion soup, flamenkuche, thin onion tart like pissaladière (one of my favourite use of onions) and now I am sharing with you a vegan onion quiche.
Since I am allergic to egg, I have been trying to find some alternative for making my much love quiche. I tried with tofu, it was great but a little bit too thick for my taste, so then I decided to try my usual recipe and just remove the egg and add more corn flour. So now I have my perfect recipe for still enjoying quiche.
In this recipe of Vegan onion quiche, I added half teaspoon of sugar in order to remove the bitterness of the onion but that is completely optional. I hope you will enjoy the recipe as much as I did.
- PREPARATION: 15 minutes
- COOK: 40 to 45 minutes
What do you need?
For the quiche:
- 400 g onion
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of Tumeric powder (that is for adding colour)
- 1 tablespoon of corn flour
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 5 to 10 cl of Soja milk
- 10 cl of Soya cream
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
For the shortcrust dough:
- 75 g of self-raising plain flour
- 30 g of corn flour
- 45 g of vegetable margarine or vegan butter
- 20 to 40 ml of water
How to make a vegan onion quiche?
For making the shortcrust dough:
- Mix in a large bowl: corn flour, self-raising flour and vegetable margarine
- Knead the dough with your fingers
- Add water, start with 20 ml and then increase if necessary
- Knead gently the dough
- Wrap it in a plastic film and let it cool in a fridge for 30 minutes
If you have a breadmaker, it is even quicker, you put all the ingredient in the machine and select the dough program
For making the vegan onion quiche:
- Peel the onions and chop them
- In a large pan, heat at medium heat the olive oil
- When the olive oil is hot, put the chopped onion on it, add the sugar and stir it for 5 to 15 minutes in order to get the onion all soft
- Cover with a lid when you are not stirring in order to reduce the cooking time
- Roll out the dough, shape into a tart mould then bake for 10mins
- Add the cooked onion onto the pre-baked pastry, then add salt and pepper and the nutritional yeast
- In a small bowl, mix together soya cream, soya milk, turmeric and corn flour
- Pour the cream mixture on top of the quiche, then back for 30 – 40 mins
The quantity of soya cream and soya milk are approximated, so top up with more milk if you want to have more liquid
- Serve it hot or cold along with a salad
More recipe to try and enjoy: