Winter is long and the grey colour of the sky is playing with my mood…. So I needed to eat some colourful dish in order to cheer me up. I decided to build the dish around the beetroots are they are pretty common in winter, then I decided to add some orange. I think I saw something similar in one of the cooking book that I read a couple of months ago. The mix of colour and texture of this starter is perfect for putting joy at the table.
This plate can be served as a starter or for a light for a lunch.
- PREPARATION: 15 minutes
- COOK: 45 minutes
What do you need?
- 2 medium-sized uncooked beetroots
- 1 large orange
- Handful of roasted seeds such as pine nuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
- Some walnuts
- Olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Aromatic herbs such as parsley
How to make beetroots and orange salad?
- Start by cooking the beetroots, steamed them unpeeled for 45 minutes
If you are using cooked beetroots, please discard this first step
- Peel the orange and slice it
- When the beetroots are cold, remove the skin and slice them into thin slices
- Wash carefully the lettuce
- Then prepare the plate, with layers of salad, then pieces of orange, and beetroots
- Add walnuts, roasted seeds, seasoning and freshly chopped aromatic herbs
For roasting the seeds, put them in a pan without oil and heat them over medium heat for a couple of minutes. Check them regularly as it can burn really quickly
- Serve it really really fresh
More recipe to try and enjoy: