Flamenkuche is a typical dish from the East of France which has been inspired by the German. Last time that I made the dish for some friends of mine, I texted them that I will make that, they googled it and they decided to call it a “German pizza” which is pretty true.
The traditional recipe is made with pretty thick crème fraiche and the dough is pretty thin. I prefer to make mine, lighter using a mix of yogurt and cream and make it on a fluffy dough.
- PREPARATION: 15 minutes
- COOK: 15 to 20 minutes
What do you need?
- 150 ml of lukewarm water
- 6 g of dried active yeast
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 250 g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 16 g of olive oil
For the filling
- 4 medium size onions
- 100 g of pancetta
- 4 tablespoons of soya yogurt
- 6 tablespoons of soya cream
How to make a dairy free Flamenkuche?
- Start by preparing the dough, in a large bowl mix together Water, Salt, Olive oil, Sugar and add Flour and Yeast and then knead the bread dough by hand
- If you have a bread maker, put all the ingredients in the order quoted in the ingredients section and use the dough/kneading program (usually 15 minutes long)
- Leave the dough to rest in a warm environment for 40 minutes
- Then make a big ball of the dough and roll the dough for making a large rectangular dough base
The size of the dough should be big enough for covering a standard size baking tray
- Cover the baking tray with baking parchment and lay down the dough
- Peel the onion and slice them thinly
Use a mandolin for having quite similar onion slices
- In a bowl, mix together the yogurt with the cream for having a semi-liquid texture
- Spread the texture on top of the dough
- Then add the sliced onion and the pancetta
- Add salt and pepper
- Leave it to rest 30 minutes
- Bake it at 180°C/200°C for 15 to 20 minutes
- Serve it straight away on a big chopping board and make some square pieces
More recipe to try and enjoy: