Beetroots are the star vegetables of the winter which is great because of their bright colour… but after a couple of months, it could be quite overwhelming to have them on weekly basis via a subscription vegetable box. Once I served them in salads, stir fry…. It is looking like I did all what I can do with them… until I decided to add full colour to my last spaghetti lunch box.
This recipe was a great way to get rid of the beetroots, a great way as well to light up your winter lunch break when it is all grey outside, so that is all winner.
- PREPARATION: 10 minutes
- COOK: 30 minutes
What do you need?
- 120 g of whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 to 3 beetroots (depend on the size of the beetroots)
- 2 medium size carrots
- 1 red onion
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Handful of pine nuts
- Handful of fresh aromatic herbs such as basil
How to make Pink spaghetti with beetroots and carrots?
- Start by cooking the whole wheat pasta as it is suggested on the packaging
- Wash carefully the carrots and beetroots
- Peel both carrots and beetroots and put them in square pieces
- Steam both of beetroots and carrots for 25/30 minutes
I usually put a vegetable stock into the water, that will help to put more flavors to the steamed vegetables
- Peel the onion and chop it
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil, then stir for 5 minutes the chopped onion
- In a small pan, roast the pine nuts
Check it frequently, as it can burn pretty quickly
- Add the cooked spaghetti in the large pan with the cooked chopped onion
- Add the steamed carrots and beetroots and stir everything together for 2 minutes
- Served the pasta with carrots, beetroots in your plate or in your lunch box for the next day
- Add the roasted pine nuts and sparkle freshly chopped basil
More recipe to try and enjoy: