I really love eating tomato; I like the taste and the colour, so I tend to add them in a lot of my dishes and salad. I struggled during quite a time to find the perfect recipe for tomato tart. Indeed, when you cook tomatoes, they tend to give back a lot of water which damages the puff pastry. I didn’t want to do a quiche, so I continue to try until I found the perfect trick which was to pre-cooked the pastry and add a layer of cheddar to prevent the puff pastry to become soggy.
In order to give a lot of taste to the tart, I add a layer of mustard straight on the pre-cooked pastry and I don’t hesitate to sprinkle dried mixed herb on top of the tomatoes.
I am glad to share with you today one of my favourite recipes. I really like the mix and of course it contains tomatoes so !!!
- PREPARATION: 10 minutes
- COOK: 40 minute
What do you need?
- 1 puff pastry
- 3 or 4 tomatoes (depend on the size of the tomato)
- 2 tablespoon of mustard
- 50g of grated cheddar
How to bake a tart with tomato?
- Start by putting the puff pastry on an oven pan and put it in the oven for 15 minutes at 180°C
I like to use a rectangular shape mould for this recipe as it gives a different look to the traditional quiche dish. On top of that, I find it easier to put the tomato in a nice order on a rectangular dish than a round dish.
Before baking the puff pastry don’t forget to add some cherry stone on top of the pastry in order to limit the rise of the pastry.
- While the puff pastry is cooking in the oven, wash the tomatoes
- Cut them in a medium size slices
- Removed the pre-cooked puff pastry from the oven, remove the cherry stone and spread the mustard on top of the puff pastry
- Add the grated cheddar
Adding a layer of mustard and cheddar prevent the puff pastry to become soggy while the tomatoes are giving back water during the baking process
- Add tomato slices
It is better to squeeze a little bit the tomatoes as they will give water while being cooked and the tart is not looking pretty when the tomatoes slices will be shrunken
- Add pepper and mixed dried herb
- Put the tart in the oven for 30 / 40 minutes at 180°C
You can eye checked that the tart is cooked as you will see that the tomato peel will have shrunken
- Serve it straight away with a salad
The tart needs to be served straight away and it is getting cold quite quickly. That is not really good reheated.
More recipe to try and enjoy: