Energy ball, protein ball… is that something that rings a bell? It is really trendy and there are a lot of pictures of that cute little ball everywhere on Pinterest.
So after a while, I decided to give them a try to make my own opinion. My first opinion was made by some that I tasted at some cooking show but I was impressed neither by the taste nor the look of them, the brown colour was not appealing. So before trying mine at home, I looked at that kind of product like it is a punishment to eat them but…. Then I decided to give a try and to adapt some recipe that I found online. A lot of recipes are made with peanut butter but I don’t like it, so I dig a little bit longer on the web in order to find a recipe that could appeal to me without too many “weird” ingredients. I decided to give a go to a recipe that I found on minimalistbaker.com and I made some slight amendment
These energy balls are easy to make and you can store them in your fridge for a week or some people tend to freeze them, so it depends on how frequently you want to make some batch of them.
- SERVE: or
- PREPARATION: 20 minutes
- COOK: 0
What do you need?
- 75 g mix of walnuts, cashew, hazelnuts and almond (or less variety)
- 10 dried pitted dates
- 10 dried apricot
- ¼ of lemon juice
- 10g coconuts shred
- 2 tablespoon of flax seed (that is optional, that is for if you want to make it protein ball)
How to make apricot energy ball?
- Roast the nuts at medium heat in a pan for 10 to 15 minutes without oil
the taste of roasted nuts is stronger but if you are in a rush, you can skip that step
- Meanwhile, soak the dried dates and dried apricot in hot water, that will allow them to be softer, therefore, easier to crush in the food processor
- In a food processor, start by mixing the nuts in powder, the powder doesn’t need to be too fine
- Then remove the powder and put both drained dates and apricot and mix again
- Then add the nuts powder, some coconuts shred and add some flax seeds (optional)
- Add the juice of ¼ of lemon juice
- Mix everything together
- Make some small balls with a teaspoon and roll them in coconuts shred
- Place all the balls on a plate and leave them in a fridge for a couple of hours
- Then you can either eat them or store them in a plastic box still in the fridge for having every morning for a week
More recipe to try and enjoy: