When I started to become vegetarian/flexitarian, I didn’t miss meat that much as I am not a meat eater but what I found annoying, it was what can go right with mash or stew if there is no meat. Therefore, I tried to experiment various recipe for achieving some vegan “meatball”. They were some unlucky experiments with soya protein and lentils…. But this recipe with red kidney and flaxseed is just perfect: easy to make, great texture, smell good and taste delicious.
- SERVE: or
- PREPARATION: 15 minutes
- COOK: 5 minutes
What do you need?
- 100 g of canned red kidney beans
- 40 g of flaxseed
- ½ onion
- Handful of aromatic herbs such as basil or parsley
- 1 tablespoon of tomato purée
- Olive oil
How to make Vegan red kidney ball similar to “meatball”?
- Open the can and rinse the red kidney beans
- Peel the onion and chop it
- In a small pan with a teaspoon of olive oil, warm the oil and then stir for a couple of minutes the chopped onion in order to let it become slightly brown
- In a mixer, put together the red kidney beans with the cooked chopped onion, flaxseeds, salt, pepper, tomato purée and chopped aromatic herb. Mix them until having a smooth paste
- Then make some balls
I am using a cookie scoop for having quite similar size of vegan balls
- Let them rest a couple of hours in a fridge
I find it easier to cook them when they rest a couple of hours in the fridge but this step is not compulsory
- Then cook them for a couple of minutes in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil
More recipe to try and enjoy: