Sometimes, when I am stressed or exhausted I like to eat comfort food, like most of us, but I don’t want to drop the healthy part on that craving, it is why doing handmade comfort food is the trick. So for this week, I prepared some mashed carrots to be served with a slice of ham, yes I said comfort food but do you prefer kid food?
I love to eat carrots but sometimes I am too lazy to cook them as it usually requires longer steaming time than potatoes or green beans, but this week a lunch box with a slice of ham and mashed carrots was so attractive that never mind the time to prepare… and anyway, 30 minutes of steamer is quite good for taking a nice and warm relaxing bath, isn’t it?
- PREPARATION: 40 minutes (including 30 minutes of steaming)
- COOK: 30 minutes
What do you need?
- 400 g carrots
- 2 small potatoes
- 2 tablespoon of soya cream
- Rosemary or vegetables stock for adding to the cooking water
How to do a healthy mashed carrots?
- Peel and cut in square pieces both potatoes and carrots
- In the water for the steamer, add rosemary/vegetable stock that will flavour the carrots and potatoes
- Steam the vegetable for 30 minutes
- Put all the cooked vegetables in your food processor or blender with salt, pepper and the soya cream and mix it until you achieve the texture that you like
I like really smooth mash, so usually, I am mixing it full power for 1 minute and then use a spoon for putting back in the bowl the pieces of vegetable which have escape from the first mix, I could do that a couple of time before having a silky textured mash
More recipe to try and enjoy: